Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, June 19, 2022

Finally an answer

I had just about decided we'd never know what was behind my husband's twisted colon. Then I got a great list of advice from a birder nurse that included info on twisted colons. I had already known Hugh's was in the cecum area, but didn't know the cause. It makes perfect sense now. When he fell, breaking five ribs, the cecum was torn from the abdominal wall. 

Cecal volvulus is twisting of the cecum and ascending colon. Normally, the cecum and ascending colon are fixed to the abdominal wall. If improperly attached, they can move and become twisted.

He's progressing at a snail's pace, but I'm still hoping for a full recovery. They almost promised me they'd move him out of ICU tomorrow.

Shortly after he was taken to Odessa the town had a water main break. Another pain, and some of the hospital sinks still contain yucky water. The fountains, ice machines, etc. aren't operating. 



The toilets are finally working, but for awhile we had to go outdoors to porta-potties.



Back at the oasis, a visiting birder, Lorrie Lowrie, took this super photo of some Scaled Quail today. So envious!



2 comments:

  1. I was wondering about you when I read of the Odessa water crisis. What an addition to your current problems! Well, you are a strong sturdy woman and have survived so far. Is there anyone who can spell you on the hospital hours? You need a break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There isn't anyone and even if there was, he'd demand I be there instead.

    ReplyDelete