Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, August 11, 2022

Catchup time! Whew!

When I got to town this afternoon I was so exhausted I went straight to bed, well almost straight. Here's my story...


Yesterday morning I went to the oasis to water and service feeders. A birder was there when I arrived. We looked for birds and odes and I did the feeders.  While thus working/playing, I heard a bear in some brush near the big tank, and saw its water trail and footprints from the tank. Unable to see it visually, although I knew right where it was. Not a large bear from the prints.


Not having gotten an early start from Alpine, I was soon too worn out to start watering. By then the thermometer said 105° and I was ready for brunch and a nap. By the time it cooled down to the upper 90s, it was 6 PM, so I only watered for less than 2 hours.


Deer are in velvet

Bright and early this morning I got busy, determined to finish before it got too warm. Birders and dragonfly seekers showed up, so I divided my time with them while watering. When I finally finished watering, I spent a couple hours looking for odes. Got my best photo so far of a Tawny Pennant.




But the big highlight of the day was when Petra Hockey was able to net a specimen California Spreadwing. There is no specimen documentation of that species in Texas, so for years I've been trying to get someone to get one. (Hadn't had any show up the last couple years due to drought) I didn't feel competent to do it myself. Some years ago I netted a Mexican Amberwing, also new to Texas, but that was beginner's luck, and easy to get to. Petra had never netted an ode before (but she did stay at a Holiday Inn. LOL) She had watched odes being netted often and felt she could do it. I brought her the net and when I saw she was seriously going to attempt it, I rushed back to the cabin to get an envelope for it. 

I wish instead I had photographed her netting it. She was in some dense brush hanging over 8' of water. She said her husband helped steady her. Hate that I missed the action. As it turned out, we didn't use the envelope. Too afraid to try to take it out of the net outdoors. Then I took it to Alpine, bought some acetone, immediately googled how to preserve it, and did my best. It's soaking overnight. Tomorrow I'll dry it and mail it to wherever it's to go. It'll eventually end up in a museum archives, in Louisiana maybe. I think that's where my amberwing specimen is.




Birding is picking up. There are ripe persimmons and other food for migrants. Even had two Olive-sided Flycatchers at the same time. They're not common at the oasis. Literally never a dull moment at the oasis. Drought concentrates wildlife there all the more.




No comments:

Post a Comment