Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Adaptability and gratitude

Adapting to the world's record heat, and to eight months of a soft diet, are my main focuses lately. Today I watered again in 110° heat. And the dentist took my old denture that had been fastened to implants and relined it for a temporary denture. It was never made for that, and is too painful to wear. I get the implants installed in October. Then it'll be another four months before the new teeth can be attached to them. So I'm doing my best to adapt. 


I feel so much gratitude for so much. That the dental technology even exists for me to eventually eat normally. And having water to keep the oasis lush and green. It's doing just fine as long as I keep watering. Today I discovered there are two Crissal Thrashers hanging around. I heard them calling back and forth to one another. So cool! I got my best photos ever of the species.



It was dismaying to see a tiny bird stuffing food into the mouth of a huge fledgling cowbird. I believe the small bird is a Black-tailed Gnatcatcher.



Lots of dragonflies around to keep me entertained while watering. I think this one is an Eastern Ringtail.



Here's a shot I got of a Scissortail Flycatcher north of Alpine a couple of days ago that I rather like.



I have so much to be grateful for. I think my foot is getting better. It still hurts, and almost daily I do something to make it hurt worse, but I think I'm walking without limping. That means something is improving. I'm really grateful for my good life and health. I wouldn't trade lives with anyone.


8 comments:

  1. Carolyn...Your energy and positive attitude are inspiring! Thank you for reminding me that I too have a lot to be grateful for, in spite of my troubles, which, when filtered through a lens of gratitude, are quite manageble! Tom McC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, brave attitude! Thank you, Carolyn, for all you faithful maintenance of your fabulous oasis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you kind words. You all are my cheerleaders that keep me winning!

      Delete
    2. You are blessed indeed and I for one envy the life you are living! Keep blogging.

      Delete
  3. I’m so sorry to hear about your health issues but hopeful they will be a thing of the past in a few months. Grateful for all you do to keep the oasis thriving! I hope to visit some time. It looks so beautiful! Positive thoughts for healing! Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a joy. You make a wonderful lemonade. I think that is a gnatcatcher feeding the cowbird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fred. On my ebird report I suggested it was a gnatcatcher. Gonna change it to gnatcatcher now that you've weighed in too.

      Delete