Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, July 31, 2023

Where rainbows wait for rain

Maybe the wait is nearly over. Yesterday I saw a rainbow to the east of the oasis.



And today we got a nice shower in Alpine. This afternoon my sister took this next photo from her place looking south toward the oasis. She's a mile north of the oasis. If you look carefully, you can see the concrete strip ascending the "big hill" (north of the oasis) in the center of the photo and the tip of Williams Mountain to the south of the oasis just peeking over the big hill..



Almost nothing but sprinkles for the last two months during record breaking heat. Fortunately, rain in May enabled me to keep the oasis watered. Not real lush, but a sufficient haven for birds. Berries are ripening, so I'm hoping for a great fall migration.


Texas Persimmon

Chinese Pistachio

A few days ago I had a Calliope Hummingbird in Alpine, then later I saw one with a damaged eye. Maybe the same one. The hordes of Black-chinneds are vicious. Maybe not the same bird. This time of year Calliopes migrate through.


July 27

July 29

When my sister read that I put one of the square potholders she made into my hat, she immediately made me a round one. Pretty spiffy, if I do say so myself!  I'm sure there's not another like it in the world. (The edges were wearing thin after I washed it in the machine (won't do that again), so I covered it with a strip of material.) I try buying new hats but haven't found one I like yet.




No comments:

Post a Comment