Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, July 14, 2023

My sister Andrea

Ann left, me, right

I'm the oldest of eight children, all still living. Andrea "Ann" is a year younger than me. We were raised like twins. When I moved to the Big Bend area, in the 70s, she visited me often. In the early 1990s, I sold her a piece of my land where she spent the next 20 or more years building her lovely and unique home. It took that long because she worked as an archaeologist and couldn't build full time. She was determined to build it herself, by hand, unlike me who hired my work done, starting with dynamiting a pad for my earth-sheltered home. Mine was done in less than 3 years.

Ann's house, still not finished when this photo was taken

By the time Covid came along Ann had been working parttime. She retired completely then. She wrote two books on Big Bend archaeology. After many delays, the second one is in the process of being published. Here's a link to an article that includes her.

https://bigbendsentinel.com/2023/07/12/they-were-us-an-oral-history-of-the-big-bend-national-park-archaeological-survey/?fbclid=IwAR0e2z1_JkkW0SMgiEgZHtaoxAjptqncFvOKn9qZMlmmlWyjKt82GQXhFHM


Here's an excerpt from the article.


 ANDREA OHL: When the park project started up, I started begging for a position. At the time they really didn’t hire women. I kept asking Bob [Mallouf], and he invited me to come out; I was trying to prove myself. 

I was going to meet him [at the site]; he told me how to get there. I had a little two-wheel-drive pickup. I was about halfway there when I got hung up in an arroyo. I was just mortified.

So I hiked about two-and-a-half miles to camp, and I left a note on the Jeep saying, ‘Help!’ Then I walked two-and-a-half miles back to my vehicle and waited. Two young guys who were on the crew came, and they dug me out. 

By the time Bob was there, I was already at the site like nothing had ever happened. I went around hiking with them and had a great time. 

It turned out we had an April blizzard. I didn’t want to quit. Joe, whose crew I was assigned to, and I were the last ones to quit after we couldn’t see the ground anymore. 

When we got back to camp Bob asked Joe if he thought I could do the job, and Joe said, absolutely, hire her. Then Bob asked me when I could start. 

That was thrilling. I love the park — I’ve always loved the park and being paid to hike around it was my wildest dream.


Here's Ann above her home on her 80th birthday. Neither of us can climb to the top of our mountain anymore.


She has a passion for the wildflowers growing on her land and has contributed hundreds of specimens to Sul Ross's extensive collection. (Here's a link to the plants on our lands.  https://christmasmountainsplants.blogspot.com/)


12 comments:

  1. Ya'll are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some excellent genes in those two women! May you and your siblings all get to 100 and keep going strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your sister are amazing Carolyn!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn, thank you so much for sharing this!!❤
    Leigh Baker

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn, that was such a nice tribute to your sister. Everyone should be sure to click on the link at the end of the Sentinel article. It will take you to the nearly 1000-page report that Ann contributed to and co-authored. The report includes lots of interesting photos of Big Bend. Yes, those Ohl genes are strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks everyone for your nice comments. I haven't figured out how to access that 1000 page report.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for taking time to share this Carolyn...so interesting!! Tom McC, McQueeney, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incredible women!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to meet her someday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been telling myself to take time to go see the paradise you all have made. I'm 70 years old and I only have my oldest brother left on this Earth out of what used to be 7 of us. I'm a bit like you, I came out of retirement. Now I'm a computer consultant for a federal agency and I also teach at a university. I don't plan to stop any time soon.

    ReplyDelete