Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, July 21, 2023

Double dang!

I had just posted last night that life is what happens when you're making other plans. Well, at barely daylight this morning I was packing my pickup to go water at the oasis. My back tires were low so I took the portable air compressor and aired them up. As I was carrying the compressor back into the carport I tripped over a stupid stake that I had tripped over before and knew to watch out for.


Whenever I pull my pickup to the carport behind the car, it's right next to that pole, so the only way to get into the carport is over or around that offensive stake. Avoiding tripping over it was on my mind as I made repeated trips over it. So stupid that the fall happened at all. Very disappointed with myself.



After the fact, it took my son a minute to remove the stake. I had tried several times throughout the last 20 years since I've lived there/here, but couldn't budge it.


Meanwhile, it happened too fast to even think, like "drop the compressor and catch your fall" type thoughts. My head crashed into the house harder than I've ever hit my head. It was horrible. Sounded like a watermelon being dropped is the only way I can describe it. I didn't pass out, so that was good. I got into the house, bleeding all over, and got my husband to take me to the ER. There, they did a Cat-scan and adorned my head with three stitches. After a while they sent me home and told me I could go water. (My knees are swollen and bruised too but that's minor.)



HOWEVER, my family was adamant that I not do that, so I'm sitting at home, not a happy camper. My daughter regaled me with horror stories, like that of Natalie Richardson, half my age, who bumped her head while skiing, thought she was fine, and died a couple days later of intracranial bleeding. And then there's Bob Saget, and apparently a myriad others. So I'm basically grounded. My son is going to water some later this afternoon. But he's not real good at knowing how much to give which plants. He'll service the feeders, too, and of course, get farther behind on his work here in town. I hate that.


This too shall pass!


18 comments:

  1. so very sorry Carolyn. I know you are frustrated but thankful you are ok. Judy Sims

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about this Carolyn...you are in our thoughts and prayers! I am as careful as I know how to be, but still manage to fall occasionally...most recently on the steps (that were wet) going down from my dock to the dry lake bed (Lake McQueeney was drained so a new dam could be constructed). Let us all be more deliberate with our steps and do better! Tom McC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take care Carolyn, the older we get the more we need to be very cautious about falling! A broken hip or internal bleeding does many in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all! I'm definitely taking this as wake up call to be even more careful. Lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to read and see this, Carolyn. But, now you'll have another flesh-colored tattoo when it heals! I have a few flesh-colored tattoos as well :o) See you at CMO soon. Rest, then rest some more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I didn't see the "Anonymous" thing. That was me, and I'll see you at CMO soon. Mike

    ReplyDelete
  7. Take care of yourself!…Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please don't ever do that again! Glad you're okay and very pleased your kids laid down the law! Your plants will put down deeper roots by having to wait a couple more days for supplemental watering. Get well fast and watch that multi-tasking! The world cannot afford to lose you. EVER. :) -Ken Archambault, Birmingham, Alabama

    ReplyDelete
  9. The stake is gone, so I can't do that again, but I'm doubly resolved to be more careful. Maybe this lesson saved me from a worse fall in the future. I feel extra bad though because when my son finally got down there late this afternoon, all the hummer feeders were bone dry. I wasn't worried as much about the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear that, Carolyn!! Get well soon and don't push it too hard! And I'll be heading down to the Oasis tomorrow (Saturday,July 22nd) morning - once again, let me know if there is anything I can help with! ~ Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. Lee went down this afternoon and watered and serviced feeders. They were all bone dry when he got there. I'm not letting that happen again.

      Delete
  11. Dang🙁. You really didn’t need that. Sorry you got hurt but I’m glad you have a good support team around you. Hope you heal up well and have no bad after effects. Petra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Maybe the lesson I learned will prevent me from getting a future worse injury.

      Delete
  12. Dang!!! Be careful Carolyn! We need people like you in this world!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah. Everybody no matter the age needs to be alert for several days after a big head bonk. You're probably so hard headed it won't be a problem....at least I very much hope so. Such a sturdy woman!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I'm fine. Today is day 3. Gonna go to oasis tomorrow and start watering and enjoying birds and odes.

      Delete
  14. Thankful you are okay! 20 years of avoidance solved in one minute. If that doesn't beat all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. gotta take care of yourself first!! go slow and steady. Take care

    ReplyDelete