Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, July 3, 2023

Life's little surprises

I hadn't paid any attention to the hummingbird feeders here in Alpine, assuming nothing but swarms of Black-chinneds were here. When a friend said she had a Costa's at her place, I thought, gee, I could have one and not even know it. So I decided to start monitoring the feeders, even though it's a couple weeks early for migrants. No sooner did I look out the window, than I saw a Broad-billed trying to get to a feeder. He was unsuccessful, thanks to the efforts of Black-chinneds.


The last time I had a Broad-billed here in town was in 2017. I desperately wanted a photo, in which case, I take what I can get as fast as I can, then later try for a better in-focus shot. As it was, I'm lucky to even have gotten a bad out-of-focus shot. If I had taken a second more to focus better, I'd have nothing. Been there, done that too many times.



I watched for it until nearly dark, but didn't see it again. Maybe tomorrow.


Yesterday, I got to the oasis to water and found all the hummingbird feeders dry after only three days. So, I added a couple more larger feeders. Things are still lovely there, even though no recent rain and exceptionally hot temps. Watering is the key. Luckily, I have plenty of water from the May rains... for now.


Saw a couple of  butterflies today that I don't see very often. Always a nice surprise! (Unfortunately, I didn't get a dorsal shot of the latter.)


Hackberry Emperor

Tawny Emperor

Wonder what surprises tomorrow will bring. 

1 comment:

  1. I hope all your surprises are a happy as these. Happy 4th

    ReplyDelete