Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Camera headaches

My wonderful Sony fell off the dining room table onto the thickly carpeted floor. Since then, the screen is black, even though it turns on and zooms normally. I'd like to get it fixed, but fear it might cost more than it's worth. And I needed a camera immediately. I had my old Lumix as a backup, so am using that, but can't be without a backup. That would be like being without oxygen if the Lumix were to break. LOL I don't understand cameras. Would surely take better photos if I did. The Sony's value is three times what the Lumix is, or the new Canon Powershot I just ordered.


All three cameras have around 20 megapixels, and good zoom capabilities, so I don't know why the Sony is so much better. I was told by a friend it has a superior sensor. It's for sure heavier. Anyway, I can't justify spending over $500 for a camera that I'm sure to break before too long. (I got the Sony from a friend for half-price.) Taking photos is one of my great pleasures in life, so I can't stand not carrying one around all the time for fear I'll miss a great shot. I know many photographers that use two or more cameras simultaneously. I probably should have kept my heavy wonderful Canon Rebel just for special photos and carried a light bridge camera for documentation, but I'm always trying to simplify life. And it never happens. The effort usually ends up making life more complicated. LOL


"All the time" means while working, pumping, pruning, weed-eating, everything. Which is why I buy only used cameras. I'm hoping the Canon Powershot SX70 will be superior to the Sony RX10M3 and easier to learn. Ironically, it has been 3 years since I used my Lumix so I totally forgot how. I'm struggling to get a handle on it. And in a few days I'll pack it back up and struggle to learn the Canon. I'm so challenged on cameras, but I had finally gotten "literate" on the Sony. I don't think the Canon will be all that difficult to learn. My concern is, for the most part, if it'll take quality distance shots.  


Here are a couple of my better Lumix shots from today in Alpine. Since I take them through the bedroom window where feeders are just a few feet away, it's not a problem. Having lots of trouble with the focus though. Finally, just set it to manual focus and left it. I'm just grateful to have a camera at all right now.


At least five Calliope Hummingbirds here I suspect. And at least five species of hummers. Still on the lookout for a Costa's.




This excessive heat is very stressful for early migrants. Many aren't surviving. My sister had this exhausted Virginia's Warbler drop in at her place. I guess it couldn't quite manage another mile to reach the oasis, even though the oasis was surely within its sights. She gave it water and it left after a few hours. I'm hoping to find it on my trail cam when I get to the oasis.



I speculate that with global warming, as early migrants perish, later migrants will have the reproduction advantage and eventually migration will evolve to later in the year.

__________________________


UPDATE: I finally figured out the camera differences. Too late. My Canon will arrive any day now. It's in the sensor size. I thought they all had one inch sensors, but not. Only the Sony did. I'm so stupid! I won't like the Canon any better than my Lumix. What to do.


5 comments:

  1. I am hoping you will like the Canon SX70. It is the camera I use for all of my photos. Like you I need a high zoom for bird and dragonfly photos. You have seen my photos on various Facebook sites and can judge from those what the camera is capable of. And if I would spend more time learning all the settings it could do even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They camera arrived today and I rejected delivery. Just too afraid I won't like it. I sent the Sony off to a repair shop. Meanwhile, I'm using my old Lumix. I feel better about the situation now. I'll keep everyone updated. I just couldn't see how the Canon would be better than the Lumix.

      Delete
  2. I went canon mirrorless last year. So glad I did, expensive but just couldn’t handle my full frame Pentax any more. 8 days, tell All those HBs to hang around. Looking forward to seeing you and the Oasis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I'm considering going more expensive and getting insurance, since I'm so hard on my cameras, Although this is the first one I've broken or had to get repaired.

      Delete
  3. I sent the Canon back and shipped the Sony off for repair. My Lumix is tolerable for now.

    ReplyDelete