Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, August 17, 2023

Hummingbird festival, day one

I had a lot of juggling to do, but got it done. Went to the oasis yesterday afternoon, then watered today while group one visited. I hated to water with people here, but since groups will be here for four days and I wanted to be in town at my habitat there for tomorrow's group to it, I made the choice. Actually, watering brings in more birds, I think. Just hate having hoses strung out everywhere. Now that's done, I can enjoy the rest of the festival.



Birding was good. A couple species we should have gotten didn't show (Varied Bunting and Black-tailed Gnatcatcher), but every participant got to see the Crissal Thrasher. That was a lifer for some. Six hummingbird species were seen.  A Diamond-backed rattler showed up for the party.



The group was off chasing a potential Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, so fortunately I'm the only one that saw it. Surprised to see it out in the sun when it was 88° in the shade. I could've stepped on it, if I hadn't seen it.


I sent my Sony RX10 M3 off to repair. It's costing $677 which is about what I paid for it used four years ago, but I'm assured it'll be like new when I get it back and I don't know of a better camera for the money. I'm not happy with my Lumix but will have to tolerate it for another ten days, more or less. I'm going to really be careful with the Sony, now that I've learned I'm capable of breaking a camera.


One festival participant showed up today in a CMO t-shirt. I've resolved to order more of them. Haven't had any to sell for a long time.


Barbara Pankratz


3 comments:

  1. Can’t wait to be there tomorrow! Thank you for all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so nice to meet you after following you for a month or so before my visit for the Davis Mountain Hummingbird Festival. I was a big fan before I ever met you. I had 6 lifers this day at CMO - the Lucifer Hummingbird, Scaled Quail, Dusky Flycatcher, Willow Flycatcher, Lark Bunting and Bell's Vireo. It was an adventure for me just driving to the oasis as I'm from South Louisiana where it is just flat. I am honored to have met you there and very thankful that you have made such a wonderful home for all the birds, trees and wildlife. It is beautiful. I am 2nd from left in the photo you took of our group. Take care and Happy Birding!!! Kathy

    ReplyDelete