Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, August 20, 2023

Hummingbird festival, day four

 


Today was day four of the festival. Even though I had watered Thursday, I didn't want to come to town  without watering. It's been so hot, and even though rain is forecast for this week, can't chance it. So once again festival participants were navigating my hoses. But I just did a light 3 hour watering instead of the full 5  hours. I'm sure it's going to rain this week.


Here's a cool photo a participant took Friday (while I was uselessly in town).


Olive-sided Flycatcher by Melissa Weaver

I didn't take many photos today. Can't stand my camera, and no real interesting birds. I saw a female Lucifer hanging around the cholla patch, but could find no nest. It's so dense. Almost impossible to get in there to look. Right now Lucifers are doing their final nesting for the year and they do nest in cholla, which is why I planted it. But I really, really did my best to locate a nest, to no avail. Not giving up. Next time I'm down there alone I'll sit quietly and hang around more than I was able to do today, what with watering and helping birders. I don't water the cholla so it's got a lot of dead stuff on it. Hoping for good rains to perk it up.





2 comments: