Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, August 19, 2023

Hummingbird festival, day three

I think the festival is going well. Everyone seems to be having a great time. For Day Two I decided to go to Alpine and help the group going to Johnson Ponds find Calliope Hummingbirds and whatever else interesting might show up. That didn't work out too well. I saw two male Calliopes before the group arrived around 10 AM. Couldn't locate one while they were there to save my soul. Later on in the day, a female showed up. No other interesting species were around. So my presence was not helpful. (Someone took this photo of me, unbeknownst to me, and sent it to me.)



Meanwhile, at the oasis yesterday, without me there, the group that visited didn't get to see the Crissal Thrasher.  I'm not sure how many species they saw. The leader didn't do an ebird report. One yesterday's participant reported 19 species. Compare that to the 37 the previous day (per trip leader) and 34 today (per trip leader). I saw more than those numbers because I was present a couple hours before they arrived and after they left. I made sure everyone got to see the Crissal, though. And I'll be here tomorrow for more of the same. Or hopefully, better.


A Killdeer was here when the group arrived, so I got them on it before it departed.



And I think most everyone got to see this lovely Western Tanager.




No comments:

Post a Comment