Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, February 13, 2024

My dental curse

For more years than I can remember I've talked about my dental curse. Here are a couple of excerpts from old blog posts. This one in 2013: 


Today I had to drive to Odessa to the dentist. Here's how the conversation started after I got into the dentist chair.

Dr: What can I do for you today?
Me: My [implant] bar broke.
Dr: No they can't break. It's not possible. In my 20 years of putting them in, I've never seen one break.
Me: But remember, I told you once that I'm under a dental curse.
Dr: (after looking into my mouth): You're not under a dental curse, you are a dental curse!


And this one from 2014:


I had to go to the dentist in Odessa today. I hate that trip, but one more visit might be the final one. I say "might," because I'm under a dental curse and anything that can go wrong, does.


The last time I saw my dentist 2 weeks ago, he asked if I was excited about getting teeth in 2 weeks. Knowing my history, I wasn't acting excited, I guess, and I replied, "I'm cautiously optimistic." Best I could do.


I hadn't heard anything this week, so called to see if he'd gotten the teeth from the lab yet. I was told that he had a death in the family (his wife's father) and wouldn't be back in town this week. Next week he'll be way backed up. Of course on my first visit to him I warned him about my dental curse. LOL


My plan is to call Monday and implore him to squeeze me in, even if final adjustments have to be postponed to a later date.


The other day I was surprised to look out into our deer-proof fenced back yard to see a Gray Fox eating pecans. Never witnessed that before. I watched him jump the fence when he left.



I finally got to photograph the White-tailed Kite being seen north of Alpine even though it was too far away for a good photo. I try to focus on the good things in life. My mouth doesn't hurt much anymore, so physically I'm good enough, I guess. Shouldn't complain. It's not like one gets old and dies in perfect health!



Additionally, it's hard not to get down about the destruction and overpopulation of our beautiful planet. I read horror stories about it every day. Just this morning someone posted this photo on a local Facebook group about recent damage to a previously pristine hill in south Brewster County. I guess they hope that by publicly complaining, it'll help. It won't. If the rain forests can't be protected, a hill in Terlingua doesn't stand a chance.



Trying to look on the bright side, even if I had my teeth this week, I wouldn't be able to chew normally until my gum heals from the damage that impression-making ordeal made


2 comments:

  1. And I was thinking being in the remote west you would be immuned to the unravellings of nature by society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I don't think anywhere on earth is immune.

      Delete