Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, February 9, 2024

Tweaking

Too old to twerk, but not too old to tweak. Or watch my son tweak, I should say. LOL We made a short visit to the oasis today to assess the "ground" feeder (the bear-proof one) and hopefully improve its functionality. The birds had gotten some seed out, but not much, after we had filled it only a third full during our previous visit four days ago. However, we need to be able to fill it all the way full in case we can't get down there for a week sometime.


So we emptied the heavy feeder, once again, removed it from its base and stabilizing rocks, and shortened the interior hoods. Not clean cuts like he usually does because it was so difficult to get the proper tools into such a tight space, but I think now the feeder will work perfectly.



In the above photo you're looking down into the tank. The white is the cone that directs the seed toward the ports. Light is shining through the two ports at the top of the photo. They hadn't been shortened when I took this photo. The two hoods on the left and right sides had been cut down. Now the hoods aren't so close to the cone so feed should flow much more freely. We topped off the feeder (80 lbs.), so will see how it looks in a week. I tried to observe while we were there, but I had spread some seed on the ground for the birds while we were working on the feeder and they were feeding only on that. Until it's gone they won't come to the feeder. The hanging feeder is topped off too, so they should be fine until we get back down there.

Here is what was cut off, to give you a better idea.



I'm pleased to report that I'm feeling much better today. Mouth pain not as bad, vertigo gone, and getting a bit more energy. My blood pressure is perfect with the Amlodipine. My plan is to reduce my dosage once I can eat lots of fruit again. I don't expect to ever be able to eliminate the meds totally, but who knows. (In other words, I'm taking 5 mg and my goal is to get it to 2.5 mg.)


After we got back to town, I made my 3rd trip to find a White-tailed Kite that's being seen north of Alpine. No luck again. Gonna try early AM. It's fun looking. Treasure isn't always the result of every treasure hunt.


The first time I chased the kite (Feb.5th) I got a nice photo of a Ferruginous Hawk. So that was fun.



The second time I went with Dale (Feb.7th) and got my best Merlin photo, which was fun too. 



Today was nice weather and with me feeling better, it couldn't have not been enjoyable.

2 comments:

  1. Great news! ‘So glad you are feeling better and going on “treasure hunts”!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I consider everyone pursuing their passions as treasure hunts. Treasure is just different things to different people. My husband catching a big fish is like finding a treasure to him. My seeing a new or rare bird is a treasure to me. Probably watching the super bowl is like a treasure to some people. Lifetimes ago, painting a good portrait was like creating a treasure to me. The dictionary calls treasure anything of great worth or value, so easy to extrapolate from that.

      Delete