Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Shades of difficulty

I go through so much to keep plants alive. First, I buy those adapted to the area, then plant, mulch, and water, even if it means buying and hauling it. At best, I still have to clean and patch the storage tanks, and pump runoff rainwater into them. I have to protect plants from deer and other wildlife. But for every challenge I overcome, it seems two more are heaped upon me. Visitors couldn't possibly imagine what all goes into having and maintaining the place.

In the case of this native (whatever that means) Red Yucca, the first ones I planted were killed by gophers. So this next group I planted in galvanized wire baskets. That made their roots gopher-proof. This year an early bloom froze, and, in spite of all my best efforts, I see something has ravaged the hearts of the plants.



1 comment:

  1. Carolyn,
    Your passion and love for your land and the wildlife that flourishes there has always impressed me. It is bloody hard work to keep it going. Thank you so much for sharing the gift on your blog.
    Terri

    ReplyDelete