Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, September 16, 2013

Better Ornythion Swallowtail photos

Luckily, I refound the Ornythion this morning. Maybe because it was cool and overcast, it wasn't very active. It mostly perched, and since I now knew it was a rarer butterfly than a Giant Swallowtail that I originally thought it was (9/11 post), I succeeded in getting better photos of it. It has lost one of its tails though, so not quite as pretty.










































UPDATE: OMG, my lepidopterist friend (Brian) just brought to my attention that this individual lacks the black spot on the yellow rectangle that the one I photographed on Sep 11 had. I can't believe I have two of them. That is too cool! Brian informed me that this one is a female. They only lay eggs in citrus, so not likely to be breeding here. The 9/11 photos weren't good enough to determine the sex of that individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment