Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, September 2, 2013

Splendid September morning

Now, if it would just rain and fill my tanks, it would be a perfect day.


Lot of early morning activity at what's left of the water in this wildlife pond. Another waterthrush; this time I think, a Northern. But I'm usually wrong.

Speaking of wrong, I'm totally giving up on odonate identification. Here's one I photographed this morning that doesn't look like any in the book. Yesterday I consulted an expert on a different damselfly ID, and he said they're so variable and complicated that sometimes you have to have them in your hand. So, I'll stick to birds, which I'll never master either, of course. But they sing.

As the water recedes there's quite a bit of mud left. And some patches of mud are better than other patches of mud. Luckily, I don't feel a need to understand why.

UPDATE: Waterthrush later confirmed as a Northern Waterthrush.

No comments:

Post a Comment