Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

CMO survived the freeze

At 6 AM it was 34° here, so I started the sprinkler under the big mulberry tree. Went back at 7 AM and the temperature was 29° so I started sprinkling everything I could. One hose was frozen so I had to do the best I could with the other. By 8 AM it was 28°, even as the sun was coming over the horizon.

I've seen hardly any freeze damage so far. A small patch of leaves on the smaller mulberry tree is wilted. I had sprayed it, but I think I sprayed it too late. There are still lots of mulberries in one section of the big tree. This wasn't a great year anyway. Last year everything produced a bumper crop, so this year is kind of the off year. It got colder in Alpine, so I feel lucky. New growth on the oak trees that sometimes gets zapped by late freezes seems to be OK so far.
























About the only new migrants I saw today at CMO was this pair of Blue-winged Teal.


















No comments:

Post a Comment