Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, September 14, 2014

No rain yet

This double system bringing rain from the Gulf of Mexico as well as the Pacific hasn't brought more than a few sprinkles to CMO so far. At least I'm not hurting for water, would just like to top things off and get a break from watering for a while.

My butterfly guru, Brian, has been visiting the last few days. He didn't find much flying in all this cold, foggy weather, but showed me an Orange Giant-Skipper he raised from an AZ caterpillar. It's so beautiful, I can't resist posting it here.


My friend, Bonnie Wunderlich, who lives near Terlingua, sent me this photo of nearly a dozen young quail drinking at her water feature. You don't see a sight like that very often.  

posted with Bonnie's permission
The weather has caused some interesting mushrooms to erupt from the ground but I know nothing about mushroom species. 



2 comments:

  1. The mushrooms may be one of the shaggy-manes, genus Coprinus. Do they melt into a puddle of black?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't gone back and looked. I'll see if I can relocate them.

    ReplyDelete