Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

A most unusual day


When I first arrived at CMO this morning, I immediately noticed the water level in the stucco pond had only gone down one half inch per day. Expecting the normal 2" per day, eliminating divine intervention, I finally realized water from the lower dirt tank had siphoned into it. All good, I guess.

Then I noticed the storage tank at the guest house was empty. Finally figured out the new toilet float-less thingee wasn't set right and the water was leaking out. Not good.

I loaded my pickup, revved to go concrete a wash in the road, but uncharacteristically, talked myself into postponing it until tomorrow. I reasoned that even though I felt up to it, I had shoveled a lot of sand, and it would be best to space out the hard labor. You can look forward to pictures of that project tomorrow.


With nothing to do but look for birds and butterflies, I soon discovered a deformed Black-chinned Hummingbird. So sad. I think its beak and both feet are deformed. I would be one of the last persons to condone collecting bird specimens, but I think if it would help us learn what in the environment is causing this, it would be worth it. The poor thing surely can't survive anyway. It can't retract its tongue, which must be painful.


No comments:

Post a Comment