Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, October 2, 2014

CMO citrus

The orange tree inside my house has blooms or oranges on it all the time. Currently, I located six green oranges on it. This photo shows 5 of them. Can you find them?


























The only plant I have growing naturally on my land of the citrus family that I know about is Thamnosma texana, which is sometimes called Dutchman's Breeches. Yesterday I came across a huge patch of it blooming prolifically. It was difficult not to step on any. (It's a host plant for Black Swallowtails.)


Here's a closeup, cropped from the above photo, of the "Breeches." With a little imagination, and visualizing them upside down, you may get the idea.


I wish I had time and energy to document all the plants on my property. These were near the lower dirt tank, though I've seen them other places. The place is just a riot of wild flowers since the remnants of Hurricane Olida. It may be a long time before I see it this lush again.

Too many gorgeous flowers to post, but here's one more, Eupatorium greggi,  Mistflower.


The citruseria is languishing at the present. The kumquat puts on blooms but they don't result in fruit. I plan to cover the tree during northers this winter and give it a better chance. The other tiny plants I'll take indoors. They're seeds I planted, but don't remember which are what citrus, except a couple of tiny trifolata. 

And lest you had trouble picking them out, here are the 5 oranges, marked with orange spots.



1 comment: