Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, October 10, 2014

CMO's new Texas dragonfly record

I think I botched getting the record for Texas's first Mexican Amberwing dragonfly two years ago. I had this photo but thought it was of an Eastern Amberwing.

Taken October 4, 2012
Then, yesterday I photographed another amberwing, and in trying to decide if it was an Eastern or Mexican, I went through old photos to compare. The only reason I considered Mexican is because I saw a map in one of my ode guides beside the photo of a Mexican showing it as being in Brewster Co. Only after I learned that it hasn't been recorded in Texas, did I go back to the book and see that the map was actually for the Slough Amberwing, a species I haven't yet seen.... to my knowledge. 

Meanwhile, being a novice, I sent yesterday's photo to Kelly. He suggested I send it to Greg Lasley and John Abbott, the experts. John replied that both my 2012 amberwing and my 2014 were indeed Mexican Amberwings. (It's a dragonfly primarily from southern Arizona and southern California.)

Next I decided a first state record needed a better photo. So I located it in the same area of the big tank as before. But in order to get the light right I would have to perch on top of some bushes on the edge of the nine feet deep tank. Nothing a devout citizen scientist wouldn't do. I didn't see the Christmas Cactus hiding inside the bushes. But like the stoic I am, I sat on the cactus until I got this photo.


I'd like to think I would have gotten a sharper shot without the cactus. I still don't have out all the spines I acquired. I tell you there was more pain than gain to that little venture. Do you see the cactus inside these bushes? Trust me, it's there.

Deep water just behind these bushes

UPDATE:  The experts convinced me it was important to have a specimen of the species in the university's collection. That seemed reasonable to me. I had seen at least 3 of them foraging. After all, they only live a few days anyway. I gather endless insects on my windshield and radiator. The psychological aspect seemed surmountable. And I do have a butterfly net, though I've never used it to collect a specimen of anything. And the amberwings were foraging way out over 9 feet deep water. No way could I catch one out there. So I gathered my net and an envelope to put one in, figuring it was late in the afternoon and I wouldn't see one. Or if I did see one within reach, I'd sure miss it. At least I could tell everyone I tried.

At the pond I immediately spotted one perched near me in vegetation on the edge of the water. "Oh, dear," I thought, "I'm really going to have to do this." I observed it coming and going for a while before moving close enough to its perch that my net would be within reach if it landed. I waited quite a while, satisfied that by my moving in close, it chose a different perch. I waited as still as I could be, mentally coaching myself what to do, how to swing the net, etc. Suddenly, it landed at the perch, I swung the net, and didn't see a thing in or outside of the net. Hmmm, must have escaped too fast for me to see. Then I heard a fluttering from inside the net. My heart skipped a beat. I hurried to my pickup, scrunched the net inside and shut the doors and windows. Taking no chances on it escaping when I took it out of the net. I remembered the directions, "pick it up by the wings together." Did that. Slipped it into the envelope, the envelope that moments before I thought was folly to carry with me. Then I pretty much panicked and emailed the guys. Help, what now? With a little guidance, I put it in the freezer and that's where it is now. I hope I caught a Mexican Amberwing, and not an Eastern, because I don't ever want to do that again. I'm not against collecting specimens, I just don't want to be the one to do it.


.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new record for the State! That is a rare occurrence for any of us. You should be proud of all your hard work and outstanding habitat you provide.

    And don't feel bad about collecting the specimen. This specimen will be preserved for future study and it's sacrifice is important and worthwhile to science. Much better than it ending up on the windshield of some tourist's car on 118.

    SPL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words. I feel better now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn, I "kill" butterflies every single day and it never fazes you. Why the auto-guilt trip?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't feel guilty. It was just something way out of my comfort zone to do. I'd much rather someone who knew what they were doing do it. I was afraid I would miss catching it, or injure the specimen, etc. My success at catching it on my one and only swipe with my net was probably just beginner's luck. Even that it landed within range was a fluke. If I needed to catch another because I got the wrong species, I'd be all stressed out again that I wouldn't be able to catch it, or get the wrong species again, or injure it in handling it. I'm sure if I did it more it would get easier. I'm not opposed to it and I'm sure the need to collect a specimen will arise again and I'll get all stressed again. I bought the net because I foresaw a need to collect specimens occasionally. The experience of having done it makes me feel like less of a novice. It's a good feeling. It seems I gave the impression that I felt bad about doing it, whereas I was just sharing how I felt collecting my very first specimen. It was more fear of failing in some way at doing something that was important to a lot of people. I really didn't think I'd be able to do it, but knew I should at least try. Hope that makes sense. I would have bet money that no way would I be able to catch a dragonfly (or butterfly either). But at one point, a person has to get past a psychological hurdle before they kill something. I don't have a problem with killing insects or even rodents, etc. I don't have a problem with killing a deer, but I couldn't personally do it. I'm not a vegetarian. And I still don't know for a fact I got the right dragonfly species. I'll feel much better if I learn that I did get the right one.

    ReplyDelete