Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Early CMO Christmas present

An awesome facebook friend, who I've never yet met, sent me some trifoliate orange seeds last year that I didn't have great luck with. They arrived dry, but need to be planted while fresh. I do have a couple 3-4 inch seedlings from them, but it looks iffy that they'll grow or survive. So this same woman sent me five fresh fruits from her tree this year. I'm very excited about growing them.



Theoretically, they should be cold hardy in my region, at least once they're established. I plan on eventually adding them to my citruseria, where now dwells the lone Kumquat tree. (I lost my precious "Prickly Ash," zanthoxylum hirsutum, to accidental drowning.) The citruseria has only been there a year so it'll take time to get it established the way I envision it. In other words, packed with citrus plants, leaves, and trees. Updates to follow, of course.

Remember, this is all about attracting swallowtails to CMO, although I find it fun and satisfying to grow citrus. Have already eaten one of the  6 oranges on my indoor tree. I was going to let them hang there for longer but a few have burst open, so have to eat them. I'm in Alpine so can't take photos there, but will when I get back down there.

No comments:

Post a Comment