Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Lajitas sort of day



This time I went before daylight hoping to hear or see the Yellow Rail that I heard there last week, but no luck. I did see several Black-throated Gray Warblers though. Always fun to see.


Also was surprised to see a Swamp Sparrow gathering nesting material (cattails). Does that mean spring is imminent?

Have been reunited with my big lens. When I checked the items that I sent off, I had forgotten to check filter, so it came back minus the filter. They're sending it, but meanwhile I have to be super careful if I use the lens.
Wish I would have had it for the above photos, but didn't.

Anna's Hummingbird numbers are increasing at Lajitas. Later than they arrived last winter, but better late than never. So far it's just the males, basically. Then the females should arrive in about a week when the males start leaving for California where they'll start breeding.


Someone photographed a Common Gallinule at Balmorhea State Park. That would be a lifer for me but the roads are supposed to be icy and what if I go and it's not there. Better not. (That is not a commitment so don't hold me to it.)

UPDATE: I posted the Swamp Sparrow photo on TEXBIRDS Facebook page and was informed that species doesn't nest in Texas. So apparently it's foraging on seed spores and taking them down to a more secure place to eat them.


No comments:

Post a Comment