Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, December 22, 2014

Possible Yellow Rail at Lajitas

I went to Lajitas today to check the hummingbird status and before leaving decided to see what ducks were on the pond there. Same old ones. As I was getting ready to leave I heard a clicking sound exactly like knocking two stones together. Exactly! I figured if it was a bird it would have to be a rail, so I retrieved my Sibley from the pickup. I couldn't believe my eyes when the first rail I turned to (the Yellow) said it sounds like two pebbles being tapped together.

I hung around nearly two hours playing the Yellow Rail call on my iphone off and on,  hoping for a photo opportunity to no avail. I did get one split second glimpse of what looked like a YERA, but couldn't be 100% sure. Reading that they're "extremely secretive and very seldom seen," makes sense that I couldn't get a photo. Here's the best I got.


There is no bird on that photo, trust me, I spent hours looking for one in those reeds, so thought I'd share the fruitless looking experience with you.


OK, we're all over that, I hope, except I plan to go back in a couple of days early in the morning and try again. It was the middle of the day when my non-sighting occurred. Afterwards, as I was ten miles down the road it occurred to me to try to click two stones together and see what happened. Knowing I'd regret it if I didn't, I U-turned and went back. But by that time of day, nothing was moving anywhere. It was worth it though just for the peace of mind knowing I had tried the stones. 

While at Lajitas I was amused watching this Great-tailed Grackle pilfer pink sugar packets from the outdoor dining tables at the restaurant there. An employee said they don't care whether they're real sugar or the sweetener. They like them all EQUALly, it seems. This bird has one foot holding the packet while it pecks into it. The previously pilfered packet is wedged in the tree below the grackle, either by accident or deliberately. Deck the tree with sugar packets, fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la! 'Tis the season........


For over a week I've tried to get a photo of the Gray Catbird hanging out at CMO. Finally got this horrible one today. Hey, at least it's in the photo.


The weather is forecast to turn real cold tomorrow. I'm so not ready!



No comments:

Post a Comment