Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, March 13, 2016

More Austin Odeing

Went back out again today for one last time before heading back to Alpine tomorrow. Is it wrong to desire too much of a good thing? Here's a Twelve-spotted Forester moth that is a new moth for me. I'm not really into moths, but it's hard to ignore such a beautiful one.


This Dot-winged Baskettail was a lifer yesterday.


I was especially pleased to get the Falcate Orangetip because it only flies for a few short weeks every spring. At this time they're very plentiful but hardly ever perch, so great photos aren't easy. I'm just glad to have this documentary shot.


And here's my lifer Eastern Tiger Swallowtail from yesterday. It looks a lot like the Two-tailed Swallowtail that I'm familiar with in the Big Bend.


I love this photo of Desha. It captures her spirit totally. And that little damselfly must have brought her luck because she got the Blue Corporal that I got yesterday, that she had missed. I might have gotten better pics of it today if I hadn't wimped out and gone back to the car early. Not complaining though, just so thrilled she got it too.



3 comments:

  1. Good pictures!! Looks like you're having fun. It's very coincidental that Connie and I saw (4)Eight-Spotted Forester moths at Daniel's Ranch drainage ponds this last week. Lifers for us too!!!
    Marlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! I had no idea we have them here in the Big Bend. I hope to see one here. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
    2. I didn't know either. I checked Butterflies and Moths of North Americas website and one had never been reported in all of West Texas except for one just east of Lubbock. I reported our sighting and it is posted now.

      Delete