Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Bear aftermath

I spent several hours at the oasis this morning before heading to town. Sometime between when I was there at dusk last night and this morning he had ravaged one of the Live Oaks. It was one that was too big for me to make much headway in flailing the acorns, and by the time I got to it, I was exhausted. He climbed up high in that oak and broke a lot of limbs. I pruned as best I could but was unable to get high enough in the tree for one broken limb, so it's still dangling there. The two smaller oak trees that I knocked most of the acorns off, he left alone. But I came to town late morning. Not sure he won't be back, but I hope not. Another feeder had been broken too.

I cleaned and repaired the feeders, then hung some more. Hoping he won't be back, or if he is, he'll not pull them all down. My hummers depend on the feeders. Here's a video I took of him eating acorns off the ground yesterday after I flailed down what I could.

2017 10-21 CMO

Back in town we had a Gray Fox in the street eating scraps my husband had thrown out.


Still in recovery mode. Gonna take a long soaking bath tonight.


2 comments:

  1. I sure hope he leaves, but probably won't as long as he feels he has resources. Seeing all the feeder damage and broken trees is painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll keep everyone updated of course. Can't find out until Wednesday afternoon.

      Delete