Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, March 2, 2018

All in a day's slavery

I planted the verbena patch today. First, I pruned under a mesquite tree where I wanted to plant, then I watered the ground so I could dig it up. (Maybe you can see where I cut the lower limbs on the tree.)


Digging was a nightmare. I swear there was a rockpile buried there. Not one shovel went into the ground without hitting at least one rock immediately. Really wore me out. I'll haul off the new above-ground rockpile tomorrow. Sure hope javelina don't dig up the patch in the night. That will be so disheartening. They don't normally bother established plants, but invariably attack now plantings. Hopefully, the little fence I put up will keep them out.


Also too exhausted to mulch it, but will do that tomorrow ---- if it's still there.

I did see my first Lucifer of the year today. Last year one had his feeding territory in the arroyo by a tall yucca that he perched on most all day every day. But that yucca has fallen over in the high winds. It's right at the edge of the big tank, almost hanging over. It doesn't pay to get attached to my yuccas.


Saw my first Henry's Elfin for this year too.


Hugh's rash is still real itchy. Giving it some time to settle down, if it's scabies. If not, he has an appointment in Odessa Tuesday.

The upper settling pond has always been a good place to see butterflies, so I put the sprinkler on it for a while today. A fair amount of verbena there.





No comments:

Post a Comment