Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, April 27, 2018

Common and uncommon CMO birds


This time of year even the common species are quite impressive in their fresh breeding plumages. The White-crowned Sparrows winter here and will be leaving soon.


The Clay-colored Sparrows are just migrating through.


The House Finches are here year-round. We have the redder subspecies, San Luis House Finch (carpodacus mexicanus potosinus), here.


And today another Cassin's Finch showed up. First year ever at the oasis! Hope it'll stick around for the Big Sit tomorrow.


Just think, without modern technology and the internet, I'd have no way of sharing the oasis with so many appreciative birders.

For you die-hard followers of my blog you might remember that last year I photographed several potential Mexican Amberwing dragonflies at the oasis, as well as at Lajitas. Well, finally the experts vetted my (4) submissions and they were all accepted as Mexican Amberwings, so I'm pleased about that. (Here's two of them.) I think I'm still the only person that has documented that species in Texas.


Verbena patch today


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your Mexican Amberwing!! I know you're pleased.
    Also, the Varied Bunting in the top photo is good to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a sharp eye. I was wondering if anyone would notice the bunting.

      Delete