Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, April 27, 2019

BIG SIT 2019

Started at 6:00 AM.


When activity got at its best I climbed onto the viewing roof with a scope to see if it would help spot distant species, but it wasn't helpful. We ended the day with 50 species, which is the same as last year.


I think part of the reason we didn't do better is this spring has been an exceptional one for flowers and vegetation, so everywhere is an oasis. The most surprising species we got was an Osprey, and the most surprising species we missed was Red-tailed Hawk. I see them every day, yet none showed today.

Big Sitters: L-R: Bill Sain, Michael Gray, Cecelia Riley, me, DD Curie & Dell Little


That adorable baby Black-throated Sparrow now follows its parent up onto the feeder, but still doesn't feed itself.


The Elf Owl is finally carrying food to the female incubating in the nest. It may have been doing it sooner and I just didn't see it. A couple of ace birders spotted the scorpion being carried, and helped me get this photo. 


Several days ago a birder took photos of a Cactus Wren stuffing nesting material into a man-made nesting box. I didn't think Cactus Wrens nest in boxes, but maybe.....

Photo courtesy Anita Meagher




No comments:

Post a Comment