Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, April 18, 2019

Caught in the act!

Caught the woodpecker making the nest in the new hole at the carport agave stalk. Can't wait for Elf Owls to nest there. I'll be able to watch the action so much better right from the courtyard. Next year.

Ladder-backed Woodpecker (male)
Since the hole is already the right diameter and breadth, he has to be doing the depth. I just hope he'll let an owl use it in the spring.  I'm contemplating removing some power poles that I had installed around and replacing them with agave stalks. They won't last as long, so maybe I'll leave both.

Later I saw the female woodpecker checking out the whole pole.



I think she's pleased with the new digs. What's not to like?

Birders and a radio interviewer are coming this afternoon and then I have to go to Alpine, so I probably won't have a chance to blog again until late tonight.
_______________________________

7:00 PM: I'm back in town. Just wanted to add that the male was working on the hole again when I left. Guess it didn't pass inspection after all. LOL

Lee Hoy was there with some birders. If someone needs a bird guide for Big Bend I would recommend him. For years people asked me who they could get to guide them. I even tried guiding, but just didn't have the time and energy. So Big Bend finally has someone. YAY! He's an asset to the area, for sure! (I love his card too. Lucifer on a Tree Tobacco in the park. Soon I'll have Lucifers on Tree Tobacco.)




No comments:

Post a Comment