Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Elf Owl quest

I had been corresponding with some birders about coming to see the Elf Owl this evening. I didn't know that the film crew was coming to film it tonight too, so it was a little bit hectic for awhile. Especially when the owl didn't show like it had last night.

So after thirty minutes of waiting, I played a tape for about 10 seconds. I almost never resort to that, but something needed to happen. The owl came to the hole and the birders got photos of it in the hole. The film crew got photos of it going in and out of the hole, but it was dark and we didn't see that.* The film guy uses infrared light so the camera captures it, but we don't see anything. I guess like night-vision goggles.

Remember the agave stalks I installed a few days ago. Well, they had to be removed so the background on the photos would look better. LOL. Hilarious! One we wired to the dead apricot tree. It might as well be good for something. And to my surprise, the woodpecker had made two holes in that one, and deep holes too. So out the window with my woodpecker farming theory.

Stalk in new location
But I got a ladder and checked inside the stalk at the house carport and it has no depth....yet, anyway.


Juggling those stalks around will surely drive the woodpecker crazy. I can't believe how fast it filled them with nest holes. Too bad I couldn't have installed the stalks months ago. The hole the owl is using is so ugly. I wish the film crew could have captured it at any other hole but that one. Oh, well, nothing I can do about it.

The nest hole is in the left stalk right above the sotol shade
The program will air in a year or year and a half they said.
_________________________________

*This is what I believe happened. The female is sitting on eggs. The male comes to the nest to sit on the eggs while she goes and forages. She comes back in about an hour and they switched places, again inside the nest. Once the eggs hatch, she'll stay in the nest and the male will bring her food. She'll feed some of it to the nestlings. When they're a little bigger both parents will feed them continually all night long. So I think the videographers should come back in a couple of weeks when the action should be better.


No comments:

Post a Comment