Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, December 8, 2019

All about hummers

Got up this morning and checked out the window for hummingbirds at the feeder. Noticed the window was really smeared by the way light was glaring off it. So I got out the Windex and gave them a meticulous cleaning until I couldn't see one little smear. But all day, no hummers.

At 4 PM I remarked to my husband that our hummers were gone. And, I'm not exaggerating, as I was saying that, a juvenile, or molting, male Anna's arrived at the feeder. Maybe with the Rufous gone Anna's have a chance, or maybe one was just passing through. Haven't seen him since. He may have arrived exhausted, took a quick drink and went into the foliage to rest and become a regular for a few weeks. It's that time of year that we should have Anna's around.


While this wreath is very clever, making one would be a disaster. No way could I get that close to prickly pear without getting full of stickers. And I hate to put out red stuff unless it's a hummingbird feeder. Otherwise, the hummers waste preciously energy checking it out.



No comments:

Post a Comment