Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, May 16, 2020

Aoudads

I really hate Aoudads, not only because they out-breed and out-compete our native Bighorn Sheep, and probably other species, but they strip the land bare of any and all vegetation. My mountaintop used to be lush with lovely bushes and rare flowers. Now, for the most part, it looks like a trampled stockyard pen. There's a program in Big Bend National Park to eradicate them, but it won't work any more than they've been able to get rid of feral cattle at Black Gap WMA, or feral hogs anywhere else.

2020 4-17 Aoudad

A visitor to the oasis set up a black light to look at moths but the wind raged and I don't think any came to it.



I guess because Blue Grosbeaks are so common at the oasis I don't appreciate them enough, but they really are lovely.


_________________________________

UPDATE:

After I posted this I got curious as to what might be on the black light screen so I went to the oasis at around 11 PM to look. It was really disappointing, not worth missing sleep over. Just the most common stuff I can see any time, day or night. Curiosity satisfied.





No comments:

Post a Comment