Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Fender bender

I've never had a wreck so I guess I was due, but I really hate it. I was driving at an intersection in Alpine where I had the yield sign, heading into pre-sunset bright sunlight with a big black pickup parked blocking the view of oncoming traffic. This is a quiet residential neighborhood.


As I entered the intersection slowly I couldn't see anything coming until I got into the intersection past the black pickup. A small car was speeding toward me. I should have stepped on the gas like he expected me to do, but being a little old lady, I froze. He, thinking I would continue on through the intersection, swerved toward my tail end to avoid hitting my front end as he would have if I hadn't stopped. Had I stepped on the gas when I saw him, he would therefore have missed me. Or had he expected me to stop when I saw him, he could've passed in front of me and missed me. On my mind was yielding the right-of-way to him. He never hit his brakes. He seemed like a really nice guy. I felt sorry for him. He said his car was old and he'd been wanting a new one. Maybe he'll get it now thanks to my insurance company.


A witness told me the guy was speeding, but the cop said it didn't matter, he had the right-of-way. The cop didn't take it very seriously. He didn't give either of us a ticket. Haven't told my husband yet. He goes to bed at 6 PM. Nothing he can do anyway. So that's my day.


4 comments:

  1. So a virgin no longer. Glad it was so minor. Still, it's unnerving when it happens. When I think about it, it's actually kind of amazing that there are no more wrecks than there are....all things considered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I've come so close so many times that I feel like I've lived through it, but it's way more impactful than I realized. I'm glad, since the other driver didn't know what I would do, that he took the safest option by trying to drive behind me. Just wish I had stepped on the gas when I saw him bearing down on me. I think my age has something to do with it. I used to would have acted riskier. The car is in the shop and since no one got a ticket I guess it's gonna go down as a no-fault situation. When no one is injured they don't want to waste money in litigation. Especially since our deductible is $2000.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course he shouldn't have been speeding, and he should have hit the brakes just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it was minor but at the time I was sure the back end of my car would be mangled. Sure sounded like it on impact. When I got out and looked I was amazed that it wasn't worse.

      Delete