Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, May 28, 2020

New Terlingua Ranch bird species

Lee Hoy, a local bird guide, found a Groove-billed Ani at his place on Terlingua Ranch. I've seen many of them, mostly in Mexico, and a couple in Big Bend National Park as well. I never expected I could ever have one at the oasis, so when I saw a black-colored bird there a few days ago (not sure when. I don't keep track of time well which is why I write stuff down) my mind went to Ani, but I immediately dismissed it as not an option. I told myself it must have been a grackle and forgot about it. Didn't get a diagnostic look. So busy with watering and so much other stuff. I even heard a bird call I didn't recognize, but that happens occasionally. Not too alarming. Then when I heard of Lee's sighting, I looked up the Ani's sound and it sure sounded like it. But not counting it until I get a photo of one there. Meanwhile, here's Lee's. His place is probably about 5 miles from the oasis, in the direction of the Terlingua Ranch Lodge.


He said it's been there at least two days so it would be strange if it hadn't been to the oasis. I just wish I had more time to spend there. Normally there would be lots of birders around to help document stuff, but with this pandemic and all...... not so much.

A while ago I went to our ponds here in town to see if all four ducklings were still there. I didn't see them, but did flush several wild Mexican Ducks. Still looking, I walked around the perimeter of the ponds. When I got to the south side of the east pond I accidentally flushed the four, yes still four, babies. I guess they had been in the grass at the edge of the pond, not sure. But they tore out squawking across the pond like lightning, frantically flapping their wings as they skimmed the water's surface. The mother was in the middle of the pond totally unperturbed. They didn't slow down until they approached the safety of the willow tree hanging over the water. So cute to see!


I read that Big Bend National Park is opening in a few days. I'm going to make myself a face shield. I'm tired of protecting people that refuse to wear masks. Gonna focus on protecting myself. Besides, a mask over my nose causes it to immediately itch... maddeningly. I don't know why. Doesn't matter what material it's made of.

I came across this in eBird online. I thought it was interesting that the oasis is #4 on the Brewster County species totals. 


Since Big Bend NP is a rather general area that includes #1 and #3, technically the oasis should be #3, not far behind Cottonwood Campground.  I'm really surprised that the oasis is that close.


No comments:

Post a Comment