Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, June 21, 2020

Post Park post

I can't seem to resist going to the Post Park lately. It's fun to be there with other birders and I do want a better photo of the Streak-backed Oriole. I didn't make up my mind about going until about 8:30 AM. By the time I got there, there were a couple of noisy parties with dogs. They left after a little while, but no birders showed up. Having the place to myself, I soon spied a raccoon entering a trash can. I guess he thought he was alone too.


Before long, picnickers arrived. Around 11:30 I saw the oriole fly into the foliage of the cottonwood tree that I've seen it frequent most. Only this time it didn't pause in the open for photos. I walked around the tree a bit trying to get a better look at it with no luck. Soon it flew off to the north across the pond and I lost sight of it.

Enjoyed seeing a Zone-tailed Hawk being harassed by kingbirds (I think). I would've just thought it was a Turkey Vulture if not for the harassers. They knew it wasn't.



Shortly after noon I decided to head back to Alpine when a couple of parties of birders showed up. I read their ebird checklists later and they did see and photograph the oriole. I'm getting so behind on work in town, but if I do go tomorrow, I'll plan to get there earlier.


1 comment:

  1. Post Park is a very nice place to spend a morning...or any time. Glad you went.

    ReplyDelete