Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

A hard rewarding day


Got to the oasis around 8 AM, needing to water the trees and service feeders. Before I even started, I felt tired, but resting wasn't an option. I would have liked to just sit and watch the birds. In a drought the oasis is a "migrant trap." I tallied over 40 species while watering and not birding. Imagine what if I had taken time to sit and observe. Carried my camera all day and snapped some photos, of course.

Female Wilson's Warbler

American Kestrel

Female Calliope Hummingbird
Mid-afternoon, when I could go no more, I spied a gorgeous male Lazuli Bunting coming in to the seed feeder. I sat down, determined to practice what I'd recently learned from a lovely visitor. I've actually been struggling and agonizing with photography for over 70 years. Obviously, I needed it simplified. This angel (Joanna Willars) helped do that on my wave length. Now if I keep practicing, I may actually be less frustrated with photography, because there's no way I'll ever stop taking pictures. The cool thing about this photo is that I took it with my camera using manual settings. Manual, not Auto!


5 comments:

  1. I was going to comment even before I read about your visitor that your photos today are excellent. Whatever tips your "Photographer Whisperer" (Joanna) passed along to you, we could all use! It's never too late to learn new tricks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it has always been too complicated for me, but she insisted I could simplify by setting my camera on 400 ISO and leaving it there, adjust the distance ring (which isn't complicated), and then the only thing I had to concentrate on is shutter speed. One thing. I do that by turning the dial to the right or left until I see the right amount of exposure through the lens. I still always turn it the opposite way from what I need to and have to reverse and lose time and usually the shot, but I'll get better at it. At least only one thing to focus on (no pun) instead of all the other stuff. I still have to turn the focus ring too but that's always been the case. I've always had to do that since autofocus hardly ever works for birds in trees or tiny dragonflies in brush etc.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the kestrel photo. When I lived out in the country I used to see them from time to time. Then they disappeared. And since being in town....nada. Lovely looking birds.

    ReplyDelete