Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, May 10, 2022

DROUGHT


The drought brings good birds to places like Christmas Mountains Oasis and Gage Gardens in Marathon, as well as other desert havens. But, as much as I enjoy those rarities, I'd prefer rain and water. Another new oasis species was photographed by Greg Jackson today. It's a poor photo, but at least documentation of the first oasis Yellow-throated Warbler.



Meanwhile, my sister-in-law, Dale, and I got a new county species for ourselves at Gage Gardens, a singing Tropical Parula.  Also my first photo of the species.



So now I'm trying to decide whether I want to go back to Gage Gardens tomorrow and try for another rarity there (Prothonotary Warbler that Dale saw, but I didn't), or hope the rare warbler is still at the oasis and try for it. Tough decisions. And I give my body no break! A good drought-fueled spring migration doesn't come along that often. And remember last fall? Migration was practically non-existent.


I'm pretty much ignoring my Alpine habitat (Johnson Ponds), where the mulberry trees are loaded with birds and berries. Sigh! And just this afternoon we got a much welcomed rain shower in Alpine. Sigh! I hope the oasis is next!


No comments:

Post a Comment