Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, May 9, 2022

Migration slowing down

It's been really hot. Late yesterday afternoon, I arrived at the oasis as the thermometer said 104.° Nevertheless, intrepid birders were there. They had just seen the Worm-eating Warbler. Today though, it was gone. The last sighting I had of it last night, it had flown real high into a tree and made its call note repeatedly. That was the first sound I'd heard it make since it arrived. Then it disappeared. I think it was ready to leave, and left. That was right at dusk, just like the Varied Thrush, years before, went to the top of the cottonwood tree and disappeared at dusk. Previously both species had stayed closer to the ground. (The thrush overwintered for 5 months, and the warbler rested and recovered for 5 days.)


I desperately hope we get some good rains soon. It's such a struggle to water twice a week, only to watch the vegetation looking parched all the time. And maybe javelina would give the place a break if they had more options. I'm sure they think we built the water feature just for them.





Here's an awesome shot of the Elf Owl taken recently by Rance Rogers. He's the brother of Russ Rogers, who took those perfect Lucifer display shots. (See post of  April 21) I'm not sure what the insect is that the male is carrying to the female.




No comments:

Post a Comment