Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, May 23, 2022

Migration is over for spring

I can't complain since the oasis had some great migrants. The only birds here are my regular nesting species, which unfortunately includes Brown-headed Cowbirds. There's also a pair of Mexican Ducks that are year-round in the area, although I doubt they're nesting here (but they might be). Probably taking advantage of the drying up of the big tank. As the tank dries up, gambusias are left unable to escape predators. Turkey Vultures are hanging around too. Normally, I catch some of the gambusias to restock when it rains, but I'm thinking dragonflies will do better without gambusias eating their larva, so letting them go.



It would sure be awesome if it rains and fills the tanks, then baby Mexican Ducks show up in the water. Dreaming here, of course. We had 100% chance of rain today at 4 PM, but it didn't happen. So tomorrow I'm going to water trees again. The vegetation here is looking threadbare. Better days ahead.


I did very little work today but it left me exhausted, nonetheless. I'm prone to puny days, so I hope that's all it is, and tomorrow my energy will return.


Here's a picture taken of us at the Big Sit (May 14).


L-R: Michael Gray, Madge Lindsay, Bill Sain, Beth McBroom, me, Cecilia Riley, Rick Reese, Linda Hedges.
_____________________________________

UPDATE: Our team won again with 43 species! We can do much better if we do it a week or ten days earlier next year!


4 comments:

  1. I truly enjoy reading your blog and hope to one day make that drive out there from Houston. Better days ahead!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoy it and do hope you visit soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy it greatly too. And am not surprised you're feeling a bit depleted. A lot of activity the last few weeks!! Maybe the end of the big migration means a bit of vacation for your own self. Those birds probably rest a little when they get there!! And now that they are past......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I slaved away today watering trees, servicing feeders and such. Much more fun to do when there are migrants dropping in. I do plan to rest for a few days now before I go back and do it all over again.

      Delete