Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Today's treasure!


This morning, maybe somewhere between 9-10 AM, the place was brimful with birders when I spotted a  warbler flitting around in the little oak patch that the Cerulean Warbler had been in when I first saw it (discovered by Lee Hoy). My first thought was "female Cerulean," but when I got binoculars on it for one briefest second, I saw a Worm-eating Warbler. As someone was on the other side of it, with the bird in between us, and walking towards it, not knowing it was there, I called to him to freeze, as I was simultaneously trying to get my camera on, and in position, for a photo. But the bird disappeared. No photo. So I spread the word to all the maybe two dozen birders milling around to watch for it. I figured with so many eyes, if it was there, someone would find it. Just in case it might help, I set up a couple of sprinklers.

 

While we were all looking, I was busy talking myself out of it being a Worm-eating. Had it been a Swainson's? Did I see some brown on the head? So I spread the word, it was one or the other. Maybe fifteen minutes, or so later (I so lose track of time), someone came up to me that they had found it. Soon a bunch of us were photographing it as best we could as it foraged in the bushes.



I was so excited! My first photo of the species, although twice in the history of the oasis I had gotten a quick glimpse at one. I had so badly wanted a photo. Eventually, I got a satisfactory photo of it. So here is my treasure!



And the beat goes on!



UPDATE: Right at dusk we found The Worm-eating Warbler eating a worm (or maybe a bug).




8 comments:

  1. Carolyn, today was spectacular! Thank you for creating a lovely oasis for the birds. Your efforts have created a world class birding destination in the most difficult of environments. My wife, Agnes & I can’t wait to visit again! Thank you, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome! I enjoyed having you visit and look forward to more visits with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn- could our bat species today be TOWNSEND'S BIG-EARED BAT?

      Delete
    2. My best guess would be Pallid Bat, but I don't know anything about bats.

      Delete
  3. I have no idea. I wish I had gotten a better photo of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think the ears were as big as the Townsend's Big-eared, but I know nothing about bats. I'm sure someone will get their photos of it ID'd and we'll find out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn- I showed the bat pic to an enthusiast at the Chihuahuan Desert Research Institute today and she confirms it is highly likely a Pallid Bat. You nailed it! See you tomorrow morning. We had a lovely day in the Davis Mountains today. Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for getting it ID'd. I hadn't really had time to do it yet, plus my photo of it was so bad.

      Delete