Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, December 30, 2022

2022 in review

January was a bleak forgettable month. I only made four posts in January and mostly so everyone would know I was alive.


In February my son made the raised viewing bench for the oasis, so that was exciting!



Then in March he made a better platform for the tank that supplies the drip water feature.


Spring migration in April was awesome! There were lots of birds and birders. The best two birds in my opinion were a Cerulean Warbler and a Worm-eating Warbler.



By May the new raised bench was well broken in.


I spent the greater portion of June in the Odessa hospital tending to my husband, who had internal injuries from a bad fall, and nearly died. The oasis went on without me. Rain filled the tanks and my son did the watering and servicing feeders. All I got to see of the oasis was an occasional photo posted by birders. 

In July we got some decent rains, which gave me better water security for another year. Bear sightings were becoming more frequent. Enjoyed having a few Mexican Amberwings (dragonflies) and lots of California Spreadwings (damselflies).



A bear pulled the feeder down again in August. My son fixed it back up yet again. Fall migration was very disappointing. We got more rain and I think the birds were able to disperse. Everywhere was an oasis. Which is good for the birds, so not complaining. Did get a couple of new dragonfly species for the oasis, a Tawny Pennant and a Metallic Pennant. They perch real high in trees so I'm not able to get good photos of them. Probably wouldn't have seen them if an expert hadn't pointed them out.



The exciting news for September was that, thanks to generous donations from birders, I was able to get the steepest part of the big hill concreted. It's awesome! Really takes the stress out of driving the road.


October was really boring at the oasis, so I spent time birding other places and enjoying some good birds in Alpine. Also built a recirculating birdbath in Alpine so the thought of winter won't be so depressing. I spend a lot more time in Alpine in the winter as I get older.


Birding everywhere was surprisingly decent in November.  Maybe the poor fall migration left more resources available for wintering birds. Here are a few of the good ones from Alpine.(Lewis's Woodpecker, Greater Pewee, Red Crossbill, and Evening Grosbeak)


I never would have thought November would be an exciting birding month. 

The weather and good birds held out into December. Was thrilled to witness a flock of Pinyon Jays in the Davis Mountains and even a Purple Finch (lifer) south of Alpine.



Then, shortly before Christmas a horrendous Blue Norther descended on much of the country, including the Big Bend. Cold is hard on me. Lee and his wife and Hugh and I all came down with Covid. At least none of us are seriously ill. We've all been vaccinated and boosted.

Also shortly before Christmas a huge bear raided the feeder again. My total focus at year's end is on having a bear proof feeder soon. 



And so another year has flown by!


11 comments:

  1. Thank you for the yearly review! I look forward to visiting in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the year in review! And so much to look forward to in 2023! Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your yearly review. Always enjoy reading your posts. Hope the New Year brings good health to you and your husband and wonderful birds and insects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You and Happy 2023 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos, Carolyn! And thanks for the recap…very interesting…Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Carolyn! I hope you all continue to recover well from COVID!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the posts - really enjoy reading them. And Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your heart-warming comments. Have a happy and safe new year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great recap. Thanks for kindling our desire to be out in the Trans Pecos. You are a state treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! wishing you and your family a wonderful 2023

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved reading the year in review and am always looking forward to your blog posts. They keep me connected to one of my favorite areas in Texas. Happy New Year, Carolyn and thank you for all you do for nature and us nature lovers.

    ReplyDelete