Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Bracing for a wintery blast!

Tomorrow night the temperature is going to plunge to about 9°. They're calling it a once-in-a-generation "bomb cyclone" or something. We have a gas heater and wood stove, plus a generator, so we should be ok, but I'm concerned about other family members. They all know they're welcome to shelter with us, but I'm sure none will. I have a very independent family.


Today I finally removed the pipe behind my new water feature that had been bothering me. For nearly 20 yrs I've made improvements to our place in town, always getting my husband's permission before even the least thing, including every tree or bush I've planted. More often than not, it means begging, bribing, threatening, arguing, etc. When he said "no" to removing the pipe, I just didn't have the energy to deal with the drama, so I waited until he was at the doctor's office in Odessa to remove it. He hasn't noticed, may not for ages. Here's the before and after. It was messing up my photos of birds in the bath, not to mention ugly and unnecessary. The grape vines are mature now and don't need side support.



I also darkened the concrete on the electrical cover and planter box. Got them darker than I wanted, but I'm sure they'll lighten with time.



Hugh's hernia surgery is scheduled for late February. He could have gotten it in January, but was afraid he'd miss a chance to go fishing with a good friend then. Fishing is his passion in life, and he hasn't had the opportunity to go in a very long time.


I wonder if this arctic event will bring in interesting birds ahead of it. 


Here is something amazing! Way back over 100 years ago the Langford family owned the hot springs before they became part of Big Bend National Park. In the 50 plus years I've gone there, there has been a sandy trail leading to the springs, along a bluff with cane between the trail and river, blocking the view of the river. 



The park service cut out the invasive cane, which, in turn, caused this July's flooding to wash out the trail. And lo and behold, it exposed an old wall the Langford's had built to create the trail. Now, for the first time in over 100 years, visitors can walk the trail as it had been in those days. Really cool!





7 comments:

  1. Thank you for the BBNP information and history Carolyn....amazing and interesting...can't wait to see it myself! Tom McC, McQueeney, Tx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The water feature DOES look better without that pipe! Good decision. Do what you want when you want and don’t ask permission; you’re doing brilliant, inspirational work. Happy holidays Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm enjoying your blog so much. So exciting to hear about the wall! I've walked that trail many times and I can't wait to see it on my next trip. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog so much! Someday I hope to see your oasis! Carolyn from WI

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate every one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you to take the pipe removal job into your own hands. It looks a lot better now.
    Great comparison photos of the old and new access to the Hot Springs in BBNP. Hope to have the opportunity to see it in person in 2023.

    ReplyDelete