Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, December 9, 2022

Continuing fun!

I'm trying to take advantage of the great weather and birds. I go birding every morning, but tomorrow I need to go to the oasis. Maybe there'll be good birds there too. 


This morning I went to the Davis Mountains area where a big flock of Pinyon Jays has been quite reliable. Got them sooner than I had expected. It was a thrilling experience. I was waiting at the home with the feeders for about 40 minutes, when a mile away I heard their unmistakable ruckus. Of course, I didn't know if they were headed to this home, or one of the others that feed birds. Didn't have to wonder long. They swooped in loudly, landing in trees and on feeders, bringing a huge rush of energy, where seconds earlier all had been calm. We estimate there were at least 75.





Those were my photos today, with overcast skies. Here's what an expert photographer can do with a latest state-of-the-art mirrorless camera.


Photo by Michael Gray

I just can't devote the time and money to professional photography, but I do appreciate it. I content myself with documentation.


Yesterday was a fun birding day too. I got my first photos of a Brown Creeper.  Then my sister-in-law (Dale) and I helped some birders find the Lewis's Woodpecker. 



Eyesight diminishes with age, no matter how I try. Focusing time is slower, so when you're looking for birds, constantly focusing close, far, close, far, and in between, you lose valuable time. These young ace birders can bird circles around me. Not to mention my hands aren't as steady. But I probably have as much fun as the next person, regardless.


Hopefully, this December fun will shrink winter.


6 comments:

  1. The jays are amazing! Great day…Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those young birders don't have a quintessence of your knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun day. I would love to see the Pinion Jays. I have Green Jays in my yard and they too make lots of noice but only when something is disturbing them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those jays are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your comments. I enjoy them very much!

    ReplyDelete