Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, December 31, 2022

Remote vicarious birding


Being stuck indoors with Covid limited birding to looking out the window. When that was slow, I got added enjoyment from following my birder friends' birding ventures via ebird. I pretty much know almost all the birders birding the area, so following their excitement over their lifers and finding their target birds gave me vicarious pleasure. At one point, I dashed over to Kokernot Park, a few minutes from home, to enjoy, in person, a friend's seeing the Lewis's Woodpecker.



But it was way too cold for me, so after a few minutes I retreated back to the house to stay. Back to ebird, I enjoyed reading the lists as they came in. I also felt the disappointment when species sought were not found. 


In my daily grind, I get the meaning of "in sickness and in health." It means I take care of my husband, whether I'm sick or whether I'm healthy. I have him on Paxlovid and he's doing better, just not well enough to fix his own food or anything. When I got his prescription, I also got one for me, but chickened out on taking it. Don't feel that sick, and never know what side effects might happen. I haven't so much as taken an aspirin with this Covid. I'm not in pain or discomfort, just feel drained and blah!


It's New Year's Eve and I'm excited about the upcoming year. I know the new bird bath (pictured above) will host exciting new species and looking forward to a bear-proof feeder at CMO. It's a bit delayed by Covid, but will happen soon.


I look forward to seeing many of you at the oasis in 2023, or at other birding spots, and hope we all have a great birding year ahead! And from the bottom of my heart I thank you all for your generous donations and words of support that make all this possible!



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for all you have done and do with the Oasis…. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you and those you love a healthy and happy 2023! Tom McCoppin, McQueeney, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy of HAPPIEST NEW Year to you 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year! Praying for you and your husband to get better and stronger soon. Look forward to seeing you in a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete