Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Feeder and stuff

Bear Dec 24 at sister's waterhole


My son went down today and rehung the feeder, this time a foot higher. For sure, that should work for now, until he gets the new feeder made. It's hard to tell from this next photo comparison, but the first photo was taken late August, before the bucket was raised to where it was hanging almost from the top of the pole, thus at about an 8 foot above ground level. On the second photo, taken today, the bottom of the bucket is just barely below the top of the 4" pipe. There's an extension above the pipe. So I feel certain the bucket is a minimum of 9 feet above the ground now and out of the reach of bears. But we shall see. There's plan B, so not to worry.



Eventually, I won't be able to hoist this current feeder, if I can even do it now that it's raised, but we're still working out a few details on the new feeder that he's begun building. Mainly, since it's going to be close to the ground within a bear's reach, how to be sure a bear can't poke a claw into a port and laboriously scoop out all the seed. I've seen bees empty a feeder by shoveling the seed out, and some birds can shovel out an unbelievable amount, creating big piles of seed on the ground. Our current ports only work when they're above a bear's reach. So that's the main concern. Covid and cold weather have slowed us down, but I'm relieved to be feeding birds again. I'm reluctant to cut off the pole until we're sure the new feeder ports are bear proof. In all other regards, it will be impenetrable.


I'm dealing with another health issue, unrelated to Covid. My young new doctor wanted to do some routine tests that I went along with about a month ago. Turns out I have chronic Hepatitis C and had to have had for 40 or more years. I was shocked since I've never used a drug, or even smoked a cigarette of any kind in my life. (Never did alcohol, coffee, or caffeine either.) Wracked my brain trying to figure out how I got it. I had a blood transfusion about 45-50 years ago, back in the day when blood wasn't tested for stuff. (HIV didn't even exist in those days.) So anyway, my liver is not in good shape. Have to get a bunch more tests done, to rule out cancer, etc., but the slowness of the process drives me nuts. I want to start treatment asap and they say, if I don't hear from them in a couple of months to call them. OMG! Really? I suppose a few months more after such a long time doesn't matter, but it matters to me. I feel fine other than the last two or three years I've had a mysterious pain in the back. Not sure if it's because of my worn out disks, but doubt it. The doctor said liver pain could present in the back. She's a new doctor and I'm her first Hep C patient. It is curable, and I'll have to take a daily pill (I think) for two months. No big deal. For more technical details, my liver is damaged to a stage 3 out of a possible 4, the latter being full blown cirrhosis. But I'm basically healthy and feel good. My liver is functioning pretty much normally. The virus load is about 3 million, which seems high to me, but doctor says it's average. And the only other possible source that I can come up with, and believe me I've tried, is around 1980 I went to someone's house and got permanent makeup tattooed on. Did that 3 times, before I gave up because it never stayed on me (eyeliner and lip liner). I always hated wearing makeup and it was a fad at the time. The woman was busy and probably didn't properly sterilize her needles. When I was young and poor I had dental problems and eventually had my teeth all pulled (now replaced with implants), but some of those dentists were real sleazy. All I could afford while raising four kids on my own. The bottom line, I'll never know where I got it.


12 comments:

  1. Wishing your a return to good health in 2023

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never cease to amaze me, you will breeze right thru this too! Best wishes Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn...I am dealing with some health issues myself. I won't bore you with the details but it involves the big "C". Your positive attitude and example have caused me to assess my attitude. From this morning forward I am going to get off my pity pot and be more positive like my friend Carolyn! Thanks again for all you do! Sending good thoughts your way from McQueeney, Texas....Tom McC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good health for 2023

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn, I'm wishing you the best in 2023! I can understand your frustration. I found out a few years back that I have scarring in the top of my lungs. I have never smoked, so it was a shock. After my doctor asking me if I'd smoked, the next question was, had I ever been exposed to secondhand smoke? Well, both of my parents and grandparents smoked, and I put myself through college working in restaurants and bars....back then there weren't any nonsmoking sections. So now I have crappy lungs, which for a hiker and cyclist really stinks but I'm not going to give up either until I can no longer enjoy them! You have a great attitude as well. Wishing you good news on all fronts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got this! You are strong! Best wishes for healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your attitude is the best and we are all rooting for you. I am taking a lesson from you for my own life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for each and every comment. It truly means so much to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a shocker. I'm surprised somebody didn't notice your liver problem some years before through routine blood tests. Seems like the damage would have shown up before stage 3. But what do I know. I do know it seems grossly unfair that a pure life (no bad behavior at all) should have this show up. Well, at least it can be handled and things are good at the moment. At this age, if we're rocking along in spite, then that's a very good deal. My bet is this is going to be a bump in the road only, and a small bump. You are an incredibly sturdy woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. Just so ready to get the show on the road. If I have side effects from the treatment, I don't want it cutting into spring migration when the oasis needs lots of watering, but I'll persevere.

      Delete
    2. I looked up the side effects from the pills for treatment - just a summary on the UK public health site, so take it as you will - but it sounds like good chances to do OK with them. Maybe some sleep and stomach problems at first, but they should, as the Brits said, "settle down soon." I do hope that is the case for you!! And maybe you won't even have those enough to notice. OK. Onward and upward.

      Delete
  10. Best wishes and prayers for quick healing! Spring migration needs you!

    ReplyDelete