Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, January 29, 2023

Oasis work day

Got to the oasis around 9 AM. Spent the morning spreading the mulch that I got last week. My son had taken a load of it down there but I had told him to just pile it up near the pine trees and I'd spread it to suit me. By the time I got that done, and feeders serviced, I was ready for a nap. 



But I needed to water and get back to town, so didn't take a nap. I feel I should be near cell service on weekdays in case the doctor or insurance company calls me. Don't want to delay progress. But today was Sunday, so I wasn't concerned.

I enjoyed photographing a Hermit Thrush and Townsend's Solitaire at the water drip. Good birds for the oasis, for the middle of winter. That drip really attracts birds.

 


And it got up to 75° today!

Many of you know that I'm an artist, as is my son Lee. I especially treasure the wonderful things he creates for the oasis. (Pics of the finished feeder coming very soon now.)

But none of you know that my late father was a special artist too. Dad created "junk art" before it was a thing, like 50 years ago. Nothing like it had been in existence anywhere, as far as anyone could ascertain. Now the market is replete with junk art, but none of it is in the league with my dad's. He never copyrighted it, nor did he sell it. He just enjoyed making it and giving it to family or friends. I have one somewhere that I'll take a photo of, but here are a couple in my sister's possession. I don't think dad even knew he was talented.





7 comments:

  1. Your Dad was an artist ahead of his time. Very nice pics of his work. Thank you for sharing. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. You continue to amaze me with your personal recollections and unbound talent. Thanks Carolyn.

      Delete
  3. Those are wonderful! Your dad was really talented. Betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a productive day! Enjoyed having a close look at your fathers unique artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those sculptures your dad created are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete