Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, January 27, 2023

Things are coming together

Regarding my Hep C treatment, here's an email I got today from the specialty pharmacy. It's my understanding approval may take a week or two, but up to this point, everyone has done their part (including me). We have good insurance, so I don't anticipate a long delay, but it's not over till it's over.


The new bear-proof feeder is nearly done.  First photo is the front, with lid handle, and lock. The four ports will all be visible from the viewing blind. No ports or perches are behind the feeder. Inside each port is a hood to keep the seed from trickling out of the feeder on its own. The paint is primer. I'll be painting it a camo green color soon.



Next photo is a side view. The bottom wheel, which is welded to the tank, will sit on the ground atop a big metal post that will be concreted 3' deep. No way will a bear be able to pull it over, or lift it off the post.



Many days of welding and labor went into building this, but almost no expense otherwise. Instead of struggling with the pulley system when there's a bucket full of seed I'm trying to hoist, I'll just lift the lid and fill it up. (There'll be a shunt inside to guide the seed toward the ports.)


And equally wonderful, the birds won't be feeding nine feet up in the air. Instead, they'll be close to the ground for great photos and viewing. Win-win!

This morning I stopped by Kokernot Park to check on the Lewis's Woodpecker that's been overwintering there and got a surprise Pine Warbler. Unfortunately, I didn't know what it was until I downloaded my photos hours later. I had figured it must be a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, even though it didn't really act like one. When birds flit around inside trees, I can't ID them because my eye focus isn't that fast anymore, plus poor lighting. So by the time I knew what it was, I went back looking for it to get a better shot, but didn't see it again. Here's all I got, and lucky to even have that. It's not a life bird for me, but rare enough that I'm thrilled to see one. And would sure love to get a better photo of one.



2 comments:

  1. If a bear gets into that thing some way, I do not want to be in miles and miles of that bear. (My only sighting of a ruby crowned was when one sat in a bush for a while right up against the window I was sitting next to. Makes me think of the term "lgb"s I read ornithologists used to use....those little gray birds that flit around in the brush.) So far so good on the meds - hope you're near the end of the steps to get them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see the Lewis Woodpecker?. I went today Sunday morning and did not see. I also found Ponds with your instructions but was not sure where to park or where you want birders to enter. Judy Sims.

    ReplyDelete