Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, January 30, 2023

Always more work!

It seems when one project is completed, one, or two, more pops up. Maybe because of the November earthquake centered near Pecos, and felt throughout Brewster Co, the stucco tank has some bad new cracks. When the tank gets empty in a couple of months, I'll have to patch them.




The first photo may look like the worst potential leak, but actually, it's on bedrock and wouldn't be as bad as the second photo. That's where there's no rock behind the wall, just fill dirt, and it's the critical area. But I'm experienced at patching the tank. It won't be a problem at this time. The problem comes when the ground behind the wall fills with water during a monsoon before the tank is yet full. The tank can withstand outward pressure, but not pressure coming from behind.


Meanwhile, except for installation, Lee's part of the new feeder is basically done. Now I'm eager to paint it, but the weather is too cold. Saturday (Feb 4) will probably be the earliest I can do it, since I want to paint a complicated camo pattern on it with spray paint. Another exercise in patience (think Hep C treatment here). Here's a look at the cone/shunt in the back inside to direct the seed toward the ports. (Gonna get a little caulking yet)



You can be sure that I'll post photos of the first birds to use the feeder. And I have a new game cam that I hope will capture any bear that tries to raid it.


2 comments:

  1. I sure hope those cracks aren't too difficult to patch. That new feeder is awesome and I must say you are too! I hope your med.s get OK'ed really soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind. I hope they aren't too, but either way, I'll do it. Every year I patch the tank, I'm a year older and feeling it.

      Delete