Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Made it through January


January always seems to be hard for me. This year was no exception. Plenty of cold weather, besides nursing my husband through Covid. (My case was very mild.) Then of course there was the misery of trying to get Hep C treatment. Hopefully, Feb will be better, but who knows, what with my husband scheduled for hernia surgery in three weeks. With his fragile health, we could be stuck in the Odessa hospital for a week. At least it won't be during summer like last year where we pretty much lost the month of June, two weeks of which was spent in ICU.



One thing that helped make January bearable was having the new water feature outside the window. Plus seeing some nice birds elsewhere. One of the best January birding ever.


Ladder-backed Woodpecker at water feature yesterday

Lincoln's Sparrow in water feature yesterday

Vermillion Flycatcher outside window yesterday

Allen's Hummingbird yesterday at frozen feeder (molting)

A week or so ago, I started these Turk's Cap seedlings. Originally collected the seeds with the intent of planting them in my new planter box by the water feature, but now thinking I don't want something that large in it. So I found a good potential spot in the yard to plant them when danger of frost is past. 




UPDATE: Here's what it looks like this morning at my sister's place near the oasis. Looks like at least .2" of moisture on the ground. That's great!






5 comments:

  1. I have a lot if turks cap that I plan to transplant. Do you think that would work for you? I’d be happy to send you a boxful! I am moving some of mine to a more wild area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll certainly take them. I'll email you my mailing address.

      Delete
  2. Love the winter bird pics! You were so smart to set up the water feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Better late than never on the water feature!

      Delete
  3. I hope you and your husband are on the mend soon so you can enjoy warmer weather. January is hard but we’ve made it through! Love the photos and the water feature!

    ReplyDelete